Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Siem Reip

After exploring the temples all morning everyone was heading back to Angkor Wat, where we had been at sunrise. I wanted to find some throat lozenges to alleviate the sore throat I had developed, so I split off until lunch.

I was at a small dirt clearing with some hut style shops at the exit of one of the temples. First things first, I had to find a bathroom. I asked a lady selling T-shirts, and she said “It’s OK, you go jungle” and pointed to the trees. I’m fine with that, I just didn’t want offend anybody by urinated on the site of these sacred temples.

After taking care of business, I had to find a way to get back into town. The lone rickshaw driver was passed out in the back seat of his rig, so I left him alone. It seems that in Cambodia and Vietnam, any guy on a scooter is willing to take you where you need to go. Even if a guy on the street does not have a scooter, he can probably get one. I found a guy selling postcards and asked him if he could take me into town. He told me to wait, and a few minutes later he showed up with a scooter.

The ride into town was awesome. The left foot peg was broken off, so I had to hold onto my foot like a chicken wing. Flying through the jungle on Cambodia jungle roads reminded me of being back on my dirt bike. We got pushed into the weeds a few times by big trucks and almost had one head-on with a car, but close calls are what make life fun.

Back in town I asked around and located a pharmacy. Walking through town alone, I got nothing but smiles. When you are not with a group you feel more like you belong. With a few other people, you look like a group of outsiders. If you are walking around alone, you must know what you are doing right? Whatever the case, I felt totally at ease and comfortable in Siem Reip. It still feels surreal a lot of the time. With a stupid grin, I kept saying to myself, “Wow, I’m really in Cambodia right now.”

No comments: