Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mamallapuram

About an hour south of Chennai is the city of Mamallapuram, which is home to some amazing rock carvings. The highlight was the Shore Temple which is right on the beach. If I was to build myself a temple, it would be right on the beach like this one. There are tons of carvings in this area, and apparently the big monsoon that hit a few years bag uncovered a bunch of previously undiscovered sights.

I also met a kid named Daleep here. We got our business out of the way early: I bought a set of Kama-Sutra figurines from him for 200 rupees. After that he just walked around with me and told me about carvings. He speaks five different languages: Tamil, English, French, German, and Spanish. He was about 13 years old, and had learned all of his languages from tourists in his town.

No comments: